Thursday, December 6, 2007

Uncle Sam & the Freedom Fighters #3 of 8

First off, I didn't realize how big this team is. There are lots of characters introduced in this issue and I'm not sure I could keep track of everything that was going on. I was a big Ray fan back in the 90s and I wish Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti would bring him to the forefront a little. This issue we get a little background on the new Doll Man and I really like Gray & Palmiotti's characterization here. I'm still digging Red Bee's development as well. Overall the issue was a bit frenetic with all of the characters and, at times, got a bit wordy, but I enjoyed it. Renato Arlem's art is more impressive in this issue, but on page one he falls back to the pink panties - now on Phantom Lady.

The only real complaint that I have about this series is that it doesn't seem that it is happening on "New Earth". Yes, there are mentions of Superman, Amazon Attacks, etc. but the SHADE organization and U.S. government seems to be from some other Earth. It is a good story but it just doesn't fit into the current DCU "New Earth" continuity.

No comments: