Monday, December 24, 2007

Detective Comics #839

The final chapter of "The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul" comes to a close here and my reaction was "is that it?" Writer Paul Dini keeps the action moving in this issue with the Batman Family coming together at Nanda Parabat. The art team lead by penciller Ryan Benjamin and inker Saleem Crawford does a fine job of translating Dini's story to the page. The action is laid out nicely and never gets confusing. Although, at times, both the art team and Dini are channeling Frank Miller's "All-Star Batman & Robin" Batman in this issue.

The question I have to ask is after 7 issues plus two prologues did this story really go anywhere. I'm not too sure it did. It just wasn't a very grand tale and didn't capture my interest. I'm not sure I would recommend the TPB when it comes out in 2008. The bigger question is did this make me want to get the Batman Family of books. Well, I'll have to talk this out with my son, but I just wasn't impressed enough to add them to my pull list.

No comments: