Friday, December 14, 2007

Comic Adventurer 2007 Year End Review: The Ugly

Wonder Woman had a bad 2007. Here return which started in 2006 pretty much ran out of steam heading into the “Wonder Woman” annual. “Who is Wonder Woman?” was the big tag line for the relaunch of the series and all I could get out of it was “who cares?” To add insult to injury DC’s heavily hyped “Amazons Attack” miniseries came out this year as well. It was a six issue series that I made to issue 5 before stopping in disgust. This cancer of a miniseries infected other monthlies “Teen Titans” and “Supergirl” bringing both of those titles to new lows - if you can believe “Supergirl” could go lower. “Amazon Attacks” highlighted the continuity holes throughout the DCU. I guess I have to be thankful for this because if continuity were a priority then “Amazon Attacks” would have hit other titles that I read. I don’t think my son made it through one monthly that this miniseries appeared in.

The only thing that gives me hope for Wonder Woman in 2008 is Gail Simone. I enjoyed her first issue on the series and think that once she unloads the baggage from the previous creative team she may elevate Wonder Woman to “Trinity” level of recognition she deserves.

No comments: