Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Batman and the Outsiders #2

I am really digging "Batman and the Outsiders". Writer Chuck Dixon has captured a fun tone along with getting the characterization of each player down. Issue #2 picks up right where #1 left off with the Outsiders going up against a new OMAC. Dixon keeps the story moving forward while showing off the individual characters and providing a bit of humor along the way. I truly enjoy his characterization of Martian Manhunter here, but I'm sad to see that he may be leaving the team.

The art is just plain outstanding. Penciller Carlos Rodriguez nails each team member and has a knack for the action set pieces. Inker Bit provides strong inking as well. I have to give it up to colorist Marta Martinez. I really like the painted look that is shown off in the book. Rodriguez even has shows a good understanding of the characters. This is evident when Grace takes Metamorpho's chopsticks and he changes one of his fingers into a spoon. The little nuances make this book.

"Batman and the Outsiders" is rapidly rising on my first read list and you should be picking it up.

No comments: