Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Countdown to Final Crisis #22

The first few pages of issue #22 deal with Mary Marvel and Eclipso. On a whole I like what DC has done with the Eclipso character. I thought we were going to see the rise of a powerful Mary Marvel, but we get a whiney brat instead. I get it she has trust issues, lets move on.

The next plot deals with Jimmy Olsen. How he fits into all of this, I'm not sure. Is he the vessel for the dying New Gods? I don't know. I do know that continuity gaffs hurt this storyline. I've been reading "The Death of the New Gods" and I know that Mister Miracle is in subdued gray mode now. Here he is presented in full circus color mode. Also, at no time in "The Death of the New Gods" did Mister Miracle leave the company of Orion and Superman. When did he get the time to go meet up with Jimmy? I'm still looking for this plot line to add up to something interesting.

After a brief fifth dimension interlude we are treated to more "funny" gay jokes with Piper and Trickster. Both of these guys were great back in "The Flash" but know they are the punchline to "Countdown". The ending had me scratching my head and wondering why DC has spent so much time on these two.

The art isn't half bad but this issue was a step back from the past few weeks.

No comments: