Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Death of the New Gods #3 of 8

I'm still not seeing the impact to the DCU if the New Gods are dying off. I get that they have a stake in it but I don't see how this fits into the overarching "Countdown to Final Crisis" storyline. Some hints are dropped but it hasn't added up to much yet. Having said that, I'm starting to get into the story here. I like Jim Starlin's characterization of Darkseid, Mister Miracle, and Orion. This issue turns the corner and makes the characters interesting and moves the story forward quite rapidly. Besides a few awkward renditions of Superman, Starlins art is outstanding in this issue. He does a fantastic job of capturing the power of Kirby's Fourth World creations. I like his page layouts as he continuously keeps in interesting while supporting the story.

If you are not a fan of Kirby's Fourth World creations, then this miniseries doesn't have much to offer. However, if you have enjoyed Starlin's past work, you might like what he is doing here. At this point this series does not seem critical or required reading for the "Countdown" enthusiast.

No comments: