Monday, December 24, 2007

The Astounding Wolf-Man #1, 2, 4

If you have read my blog, you will know that I discovered Robert Kirkman this year and have been reading my way through his catalogue. I didn't know about "The Astounding Wolf-Man" until I saw an add for it in "Invincible". I spend way too much money on comics as it is and wasn't looking to add another monthly, but when my LCS had the "Director's Cut" of issue #1 and issues #2 and #4, I decided to take the plunge. While I wasn't totally impressed with issue #1, issue #2 started to build on the Wolf-Man's mythos. All of the usual Kirkman goodness is on display here. First and foremost, it is a fun read. Even in the few issues that I read, it had quite a few twists and turns and shocking reveals. The end of issue #4 being the best of the bunch.

The art by Jason Howard is very clean and not over wrought with too much detail. His character designs and page layouts are very good. Howard has a ways to go to be a top tier artist but all the elements are there. Given time, I believe he will grow into a fine artist on the level of those operating at the big companies.

"The Astounding Wolf-Man" starts off with a bit of an "Invincible" retread in issue #1 but veers into new territory in the follow-on issues. The TPB for the first few issues is coming out in January and this may be a good time to jump on board what looks to be another good series from Kirkman.

No comments: