Thursday, December 13, 2007

Comic Adventurer 2007 Year End Review: The Bad

The Death of Bart Allen really disappointed me. I believe given the time Bart’s title could have picked up speed and readers, but it was not to be. DC editorial pretty much admitted that he was slated to die even before his series kicked off. I’d have to say that Bart’s last few issues beats out Mark Waid’s new run on the Wally West Flash. I really don’t mind that DC killed off Bart. What irks me is that it didn’t really amount to or impact anything.

I have expressed my desire for DC to fix Supergirl. They finally get the character back to the point where she is Superman’s cousin Kara and then....nothing. What started out as a good introduction in Superman/Batman has devolved into an almost unreadable character. Besides being Superman’s cousin, who is Supergirl?

After the excellent weekly “52”, “Countdown” has ben a disappointment. For a lead up to such a cosmic, grand scale event, I found most of the stories in "Countdown" to either go nowhere (Piper & Trickster, Harley & Holly, the Challengers), retread old ground (Superman-Prime, OMAC), be almost incomprehensible (Jimmy Olsen), or just not add up to much (Mary Marvel). In contrast to "52" where you had excellent stories to follow on Black Adam and the Question, "Countdown" has just not gone anywhere or increased my desire to see what "Final Crisis" is all about.

No comments: