Thursday, December 6, 2007

52 Aftermath: The Four Horsemen #4 of 6

I'm truly a lazy comic buyer. I had "52" and now have "Countdown" on my pull list. My local comics shop, being good capitalists, generally pull any miniseries that have that tag line. I didn't much care for the first three issues of "52 Aftermath: The Four Horsemen", but I continue to buy it. I mean - It is in my box. I might as well just get it. Well, issue #3 popped up this week and I must say that writer Keith Giffen has turned the corner on this. While it pales in comparison to "52" and doesn't really continue that story, it does try to wrap up the Four Horsemen storyline that set off Black Adam on his World War III rampage. I have always been a fan of Giffen but I felt the first three of issues of this were awkward and wordy. This issue, however, have the seeds laid in "52" and the first couple of issues bearing interesting fruit. I like Giffens use of Snapper Carr here and his characterization of the Trinity. Wonder Woman is a bad ass here. Batman's interactions with both Snapper and Superman are sharp and Superman while injured shows some brains behind the brawn.

While I like Mark Waid's version of Dr. Caulder over in "Brave and the Bold" better, I liked seeing the Doom Patrol in a real fight. While the art by penciller Pat Olliffe and inker Johan Stanisci isn't "knock you out" spectacular it does serve the story quite well. The character designs for the Four Horsemen are somehwhat goofy but Olliffe nails the Trinity and gets good emotion out of his art.

While this miniseries is not a must have, issue #4 takes the story and propels it forward with gusto. While I was ho-hum on this miniseries, Giffen won me over here and I'm looking forward to the closing chapters.

No comments: