Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thor #6

In reading the various reviews across the internet for "Thor", I thought I might like the book. I came late to it and wound up reading it as I could find issues. That meant I've missed issues 2 and 3. I've now read issues 1, 4, 5, and 6 with the last three in within one month of each other. I like what JMS is doing in "Thor". He is writing this and it reads like a novel. Slowly building and adding story elements and character development. I like this take on the Thor mythos. I'm glad that they have brought back Dr. Don Blake as I felt that was what grounded Thor in our world. The juxtaposition of small town U.S.A. and Asgard is very interesting providing some comedic elements. This issue provides more of that comparison as the towns people discuss their interactions with the Asgardians. JMS is creating something that doesn't require me to know who's invaded who, who's making deals with the devil, or who's registered and who's not. The baggage of the greater Marvel Universe is left behind and JMS just tells the tale of Thor. That is enough for me. The art by Oliver Coipel on pencils, Mark Morales on art, and Laura Martin on colors truly enhances JMS excellent story. I especially like they way Coipel illustrates the transitions between Blake and Thor.

If you are frightened by the greater Marvel Universe titles but want to try one, pick up "Thor". I've come in half way, missing some issues and I'm still enjoying it. No knowledge of Thor is required. However, if you have read classic, silver age Thor comics, you will enjoy JMS' nods to those days.

No comments: