Friday, February 8, 2008

Supergirl's Kelley Pucket at Wizard Universe

So, I'm reading Kelley Puckett's interview over at Wizard Universe and it explains why his first four issues have really gone nowhere. The most telling qoute is here

I actually had a different approach to the character. I had an opening four-issue arc that was very, very different that I was going to do, and I took way too long to come up with it. I was right on time getting it in before my first issue deadline…and of course I didn’t tell anyone what I was going to do. [Laughs] Then I turned it in and found out that there was a very specific continuity problem with the core aspect of what I was going to do, and so I had to start over and go really, really fast to come up with something for the first issue. So I’m not where I should be with the character and what I want to do with her. The very end of issue #26 is when I first start to get her to where I want to take her. The first few issues I’ve just been trying to take the character I was given and try to make sense out of her, and things start to change with #26.

The end of the current issue is the true beginning of Puckett's run. His first four issues where basically thrown together at the last minute - filler. That may explain the dearth of dialogue in those issues. He let the artist tell the story. However, he does admit to this being his style. Now, let's let DC Editorial get out of the way and let Puckett tell a good Supergirl story. There's been 26 issues of this current version and I have yet to see one that really grabbed me. I keep hoping that someone will fix this book. Hopefully, left unmolested, Puckett can do that. He's got a few more issues before I drop it.

No comments: