Friday, February 15, 2008

JLA Classified #52

I know many people have issue with John Byrne. Heck, I was reading the "Savage Dragon Archives Volume 1" and chuckled at Erik Larsen's not so subtle dig with his character Johnny Readbeard. I must confess that I truly love his art. He is shining in the closing "JLA Classified" arc and I'm enjoying it. Roger Stern's story continues to impress me with its great characterization of each hero. He gives each hero their own voice, motivations, etc. He knows these guys and gals very well. While the bad guy hasn't been that compelling the team work displayed is outstanding. You can see that the team members care about each other and have a good understanding of the tactical employment of each hero's powers.

I think if "JLA Classified" had been at this creative level that it would be continuing. If you haven't checked out the Stern/Bryne story arc, jump on and get the last couple of back issues. It is a great read.

No comments: