Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Green Lantern Corps #21

With the end of "The Sinestro Corps Wars", DC had me pumped to see the Mongul story play out. However, that has to wait a couple of months while we deal with the "Alpha Lanterns" story from "Green Lantern" and its impact on the Corps. I believe if Tomasi had done this issue it might have turned out better. Sterling Gates' story read like an expanded backup Tales of the Green Lanterns. I'm not sure that Boodikka was the best choice as an Alpha Lantern. I'm sure Geoff Johns picked her for specific reasons and I was hoping that Gates would illuminate us here. That doesn't happen. We just get a very robotic Boodikka that treats pretty much everyone badly. The high point of the issue was Nelson's art. While it isn't spectacular it serves the story well. I particularly liked his layouts for the flash back pirate fight.

This two parter just seems to be spinning its wheels until Tomasi and company can get back on schedule with the Mongul story. I'll be picking up the next issue, but I'm truly looking forward to Tomasi's return.

No comments: