Saturday, January 5, 2008

Teen Titans: Year One #1 of 6

Rarely does a book come home that is enjoyed across the board by all the comic readers in my house. "Teen Titans: Year One" looks to be the book to break that mold. Everyone from me (age 39), my son (age 14) and my daughter (age 9) liked the book. This book is a solid outing in terms of both story and art. I like what writer Amy Wolfram is doing here. This book serves to update the first gathering of the original Teen Titans to the modern era. For those of you who have read the "Teen Titans" Showcase books, there are no "hip cats" and "cool dudes" here.

The art team of Karl Kerschl, Serge Lapointe, and Steph Peru brings a unique look to the Teen Titans on hand here - Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, and Aqualad. The team members are drawn at what looks to be the 13-14 age range and I like it.

While Wolfram spends most of this first issue setting things up, I was engrossed in the story and am looking forward to the rest of the series.

No comments: