Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Countdown to Mystery #5 of 8

The Eclispo story stays front and center in this issue and I really enjoyed it. Now that the story is focusing on Spectre and Bruce Gordon, I have to say that the it is way more interesting. Bruce Gordon is a bit nuts and the Spectre has a hard time dealing with his insanity. Chad Hardin takes over the penciling duties for this story and does a fine job here. I think Dan Brown's coloring really makes the story pop and provides just the right mood.

Over in the backup story, Dr. Kent Nelson continues to loose his mind as he deals with the death of Inza and his dealings with Dr. Fate's helmet. I like how writer Steve Gerber takes a side trip with the "KillHead" comic by Inza Fox. I'm hoping that spending this time on Inza means that she will be returning to Dr. Fate's side. This story continues to be interesting and I like how Gerber has setup the character of Dr. Nelson.

I like what DC is doing with both Dr. Fate and Eclipso. Both of the characters have been rebooted as interesting, conflicted individuals. I think both will go a long way to upping the readability of DC's magic stories if used properly.

No comments: