Friday, January 25, 2008

Teen Titans #55

One panel into "Teen Titans" #55 and the Titans are down one major player. Writer Sean McKeever begins to make his mark on the team beginning this issue. The first story arc was an editorial mandate story and he did a fine job with it. Now, McKeever takes a breath with this issue and starts building to what he has planned for the team. More on that over at Newsrama. This issue picks up the pieces from the "Titans Tomorrow" story line and lays out where all of the team are. I'm not sure whether I care about the hooking up of Cassie and Tim. It somewhat mirrors what was going on between Nightwing and Starfire in the original series and seems a bit of a retread. Hopefully that plot line will go away. I do like the playfulness of Ravager and how she screws with the opposite sex. It's affects on a young Kid Devil, however, might not be so nice. I'll go along with what McKeever is working on Miss Martian but I'd really like to see that character go somewhere other than dark. You have Ravager, Kid Devil, and Miss Martian all dealing with dark personalities and that is just a little too much. I like the addition (or not) of Blue Beetle. Jaime is a great character and brings fresh eyes to this franchise. I like having him hang around.

Sean McKeever is a good writer and I'm hoping that he can return this title to prominence with solid story telling and characterization. DC needs to stop the carousel of artist on this series and stick with one team. Jamal Igle does a decent job here but I'm not sure he's fully up to the task either. With Dan Didio now serving as editor, here's hoping that a top art team is assigned and Didio stays out of McKeever's way and lets him tell good stories.

No comments: