Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Simon Dark #1

I'm getting ready to buy my weekly load of comics and my son hands me "Simon Dark". He thinks it is a "Countdown" tie-in and, without looking at it, I throw it on the pile. I got around to reading it today and, while it isn't my usual comic fare, I found it quite interesting. I enjoyed Scott Hampton's art as he captures the mood presented by writer Stephen Niles. Breezing through google I found out that Niles wrote the comic "30 Days Night" which the currently released movie is based. I don't shy away from horror comics - Robert Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" being one of my favorites. However, I'm not sure what to think of "Simon Dark". It has an old Vertigo imprint feel but it is set in Gotham City. This book is a true "cold start" for a comic and I'm not sure that this character is strong enough to keep up a monthly series. It certainly didn't grab me like Todd McFarlane's "Spawn" did when it first came out, but that was more superhero than horror.

If you are into horror and mystery you might like this. However, if you are into traditional superhero comics, I wouldn't recommend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.