Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Salvation Run #1 of 7

I was debating whether to pick this miniseries up or wait for the TPB to come out. While I was at my local comics shop picking up my weekly pull I saw the front cover and just had to grab it. Sean Chen's cover really grabbed me. I missed out on the excellent Rogue comics when Geoff Johns was writing "The Flash", but I have since gone back and read all of Johns' "The Flash" TPBs. Johns brought a real depth of character to all of the Rogues. I especially liked his Captain Cold. So, seeing all of those Rogues on display I had to jump at picking up this mini.

Writer Bill Willingham provides a plausible set up where Checkmate and company are rounding up all the villians and depositing them on a planet far away to fend for themselves. The first group to be placed is a small group of the Flash's Rogues Gallery and they are immediately fighting for their lives. Even though the squabble quite a bit we see them work as a team. About half way through the issue quite a few of Batman's rogues and a few add ons show up. Willingham brings differing voices to each of the villians and does a good job of making the reader root for them. Sean Chen does an exceptional job on the art and is backed up nicely by inker Walden Wong and colorist John Kalisz. This is a very balanced issue with outstanding art and a great script.

This has been a good week for DC miniseries. This along with Suicide Squad top my list of must reads for this week.

No comments: