Monday, November 26, 2007

Black Adam #1, #2, #3, #4 of 6













I have been remiss in not reviewing the "Black Adam" miniseries. Being both a "52" and "Countdown" crossover title, I didn't hold much hope for this title, but I got it anyway because of Black Adam's handling in the pages of "52" and "World War III". I didn't care for "World War III" very much, but I did want to see where a powerless Teth Adam would go from there. If you don't remember, Captain Marvel changed Black Adam's power word and sent him on his way. I picked up issue #1 just to see what DC had planned for this character.

Writer Peter J. Tomasi instantly grab my attention with his characterization of a beaten - both physically and mentally - Teth Adam. I also enjoy when Teth is just saying random words of the top of his head as he tries to figure out his new magic word. Tomasi has also brought a lot of supporting players into the mix along with connections to the JSA, JLA, and the magic realm. The art by penciller Dough Mahnke, inker Chrstian Alamy, and colorist Nathan Eyring is pitch perfect. Mahnke captures the power of Teth Adam and his anguish as he searches to restore his power and lost love, Isis. Eyring's coloring really brings the art together along with Alamy's tight inking.

If you haven't picked up this title, get to your local comics shop or go online and get issues #1-4. This title is the cream of the crop of "52" and "Countdown" miniseries.

No comments: