Monday, November 12, 2007

Metal Men #4 of 8

I have been a fan of the Metal Men since I first read their adventures in the 70s. Writer and artist Duncan Rouleau has presented an interesting if uneven incarnation of this team. Based on an idea by Grant Morrison, Rouleau is using time traveling robots, friends, and family as the impetus for everything from the creation of the Metal Men to Will Magnus' rise to fame. I usually like time travel stories if done well and I'm somewhat concerned and confused by Rouleau's take on it. The bright spot for this series is the art and Rouleau's interpretation of the Metal Men. As I said, I grew up with the more classic looking Metal Men and was initially put off by Rouleau's version. However, over the first few issues of this mini, these Metal Men have grown on me. I especially like Rouleau's characterizations of each robot imbuing each with very distinct personalities while remaining true to their past incarnations.

I'm not sure this book will draw any new readers to the Metal Men. However, I'm interested to see where this is all going and will stay along for the ride.

No comments: