Monday, November 12, 2007

Metamorpho Year One #3 of 6

Since I have "Batman and the Outsiders" on my pull list, my local comics shop thought I'd like to read "Metamorpho Year One" and put it in my box. I probably would not have requested this even if I had known it was coming out, but the fist three issues have been an interesting read. Writer Dan Jurgens is going for an action/adventure flavor instead of straight out superhero action. Rex Mason is portrayed as a handsome adventurer with his eye on the bosses daughter. All of the elements of Metamorpho's origin are here with Rex's boss Simon Stagg playing the villian role and Rex' girlfriend, Sapphire Stagg, playing the confused/mixed feeling girlfriend. The action and intrigue really gets rolling in issue #3 with the addition of Stagg's advesary, Maxwell Tremaine. Mike Norton's pencils and Jesse Delperdang's inks provide good visuals. However, I preferred Jurgen's layouts in the first two issues. Metamorpho is drawn a little too skeletal in the face for my liking as well.

Dan Jurgens has been one of my favorite writers over the years and he his having fun with Metamorpho. While the story is connect the dots as Metamorpho's origin is pretty basic, Jurgen's adds enough action, romance, and intrigue to keep it interesting.

No comments: