Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Countdown to Adventure #3 of 8

The adventures of Starfire, Animal Man, and Adam Strange continue to unfold in this entertaining read from writer Adam Beechen. The rampage "disease" is spreading throughout San Diego and Rann as our heroes come to terms with the fact that they may be carriers. Beechen does a great job with the relationships between Buddy, Buddy's wife Ellen and Kory. I still believe that Buddy only has strong feelings of friendship for Kory and Ellen is worrying about a lot of nothing. However, that is coming from a guy and I'm sure my wife would have issue if I had a HOT woman living with us. Adam Strange is still in Rann and is also catching on that something is amiss. Beechen does an excellent job of weaving both of these stories and putting his characters in peril. Eddy Barrows pencilling along with Julio Ferreira's inks really make the book pop off the page. I have always been a fan of Barrows and he doesn't disappoint here. While the backup story did not do anything for me, the main story will keep me buying this miniseries.

Both this and "Countdown to Mystery" have been the best of the breed for Countdown tie-ins.

3 comments:

ShellyS said...

No matter how secure a wife may feel in her marriage, it would be hard to ignore someone who looks like Kory, especially the way Buddy keeps looking at her. But I agree that he feels mostly just friendship for her. Except, he was rather evasive when Ellen asked if he loves Kory. He could've said, "Just as a friend, honey. You're the only woman for me."

Men just don't get it. heh

Nice blog, btw. Thanks for visiting mine so I could find it. :)

Comic Adventurer said...

As a father of two daughters, I find the blogs of women on comics very interesting. I'm constantly looking for material that will interest my daughters and I tip my hat you gals out there voicing your opinions on this issue.

ShellyS said...

I think this is a better time to be a girl reading comics than when I got started back in the late-'50s/early-'60s. If I wasn't reading Classics Illustrated, Archies and that ilk (ah, Katy Keene, Millie the Model, etc), or the romance titles, my friends didn't want to be seen with me when I bought my weekly stash. But superheroes were always my favs. Of course, now the content is more of any issue than it was then.

And I am very pleased to discover so many comics blogs by women and to know that there are plenty of women reading comics now, especially superheroes.