Sunday, November 18, 2007

Green Arrow & Black Canary #2

So, I read other comic blogs and comic forums and there is a lot of Judd Winick hate out there. It seems that most people hate his writing. Well, I've done some catching up on my Winick written comics and while he isn't the greatest writer out there, I don't see anything criminal in his writing style. I didn't care for his "Outsiders" run and the "Green Arrow/Black Canary Wedding Special" final few pages were not that great. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed both of the first issues of the new "Green Arrow & Black Canary" monthly series. If you are looking for a strong woman superhero then look no further than Winick's Black Canary. She is intelligent, confident, and a skilled fighter.

I like Cliff Chiang's Black Canary as well. I would like Chiang to put more effort into drawing Mia, though, as I found his interpretation of her to be rather bland. I did enjoy all the various methods that Chiang used to cover up Ollie's naughty parts.

I see "Green Arrow & Black Canary" as analogous to "Superman/Batman". In "Superman/Batman" readers can see stories based on all Superman and Batman supporting characters (Supergirl, Robin, Nightwing, Powergirl, etc.) as well as the main heros. In "Green Arrow & Black Canary" I would expect to see all of the supporting characters in their "universe". This is why it is good to see Winick using Mia and Connor.

Give this book a try and you will have a good time. Action, comedy, and intrigue abound.

No comments: