Monday, November 26, 2007

Countdown to Mystery #3 of 8

Both my son and I are enjoying the miniseries starring the new Dr. Fate. I like that writer Steve Gerber chose not only a descendant of the original Dr. Fate but a psychiatrist for this incarnation. Kent V. Nelson makes a visit to a mystic book store and starts to come to peace with himself in this issue. Of course, being Dr. Fate, Kent can't just go to a therapist. Gerber puts Kent through his own kind of therapy while having him learn more about being Dr. Fate. I disagree with the shop keeper that Kent isn't very talented and it is all in the helmet. Gerber has Kent picking things up fast while questioning the reality of it all. Justiniano and Wong are in fine form bringing a fluidity to the art and panel layouts.

The backup story continues to progress with the Spectre, the Creeper, and Batman entering the story. I'm not sure where Sturges is taking this story but I'm along for the ride. I like Segovia's character art but his Plastic Man is off. This may have to do with the muted coloring of Dan Brown.

While the backup story is mild interesting, the lead story is a keeper. Dr. Fate is back and I'm hoping that Steve Gerber can get healthy and turn this miniseries into a monthly.

No comments: