Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Flash #234

Writer Mark Waid's current run on "The Flash" is beginning to wear thin. I was willing to give him a pass as he reestablished Wally and his family back in the DCU but it is starting to drag now. I get it. The kids have issues with their powers. Let's move onto something that involves Wally as the Flash fighting rogues or something. I like Freddie E. Williams II's clean art style, but there's something missing here. I"m not sure if it is the bright coloring of colorists Tanya & Richard Horie, but the art just looks flat. Williams, however, does a good job with facial expressions and I like his page layouts. Maybe he needs someone else to ink his pencilling to bring out the depth.

In the backup story, artist Doug Braithewaite really shines. Colorist Alex Sinclair gives a painted look to Braithwaite's art and it provides a really stunning graphic novel look and feel. I'm enjoying the backup story more than the primary as Mark Waid does a good job of keeping "The Fast Life" moving forward.

I'm sticking with this book because I love both the Flash and Waid's previous efforts. Here's hoping taking the battle to the alien invaders of the last few issues peaks my interest.

No comments: