Monday, November 5, 2007

Countdown Presents: Lord Havok and the Extremists #1 (of 6)

Bleh! That's what I've got to say about this offshoot of Countdown. I didn't ask for this in at my local comics store, the owner pulled it for me based on other comics that I buy. I wasn't looking forward to this, but thought DC has done well with both "Countdown to Adventure" and "Countdown to Mystery" and I thought I'd give it a try. Well, writer Frank Tieri takes a swing at the plate and it is a whiff. The story is a mess. I think DC is supposed to be poking fun at Marvel's "Civil War" but I'm not really sure. The whole "round up the metas/mutants/superpowered beings and put them in a camp" was handled much better in "Kingdom Come". I can't speak for Marvel's "Civil War" as I didn't read that cross over event. If I had to pick one good thing out about this comic, I would point to Liam Sharp and Rob Hunter's art. While not top tier, it is better than some of the other regular series art out there and reminiscent of some 90's comic art - shoulder pads and big guns making a showing. I'm assuming that is what the artist were shooting for here.

If you are looking for good DC miniseries look towards the previously mentioned "Adventure" and "Mystery" offshoots from Countdown. "Lord Havok and the Extremists" is not worth the cover price or your time.

No comments: