Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Death of the New Gods #1 & #2 of 8

Before reviewing the initial chapter of this miniseries I have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of Jack Kirby's New Gods/Fourth World. Kirby started on these when I was very young and I never got into them. Of course, over the years, I have been entertained by Darkseid's use throughout the DCU as well as Mister Miracle and Big Barda's JLA runs. In an interview writer and penciller Jim Starlin stated that this was a "mercy killing" because of DC's abuse of Kirby's Fourth World creations over the years. Starlin wanted to honor Jack Kirby's creations while killing them off. I decided to pick this up as a tie-in to what is going on in "Countdown". With the death of Lightray and the continuing issues with Jimmy Olsen, I figured this series would tie up that whole plot line.

Issue #1 is basically a recap issue brining the reader up to speed on what is going on with the New Gods. It has Darkseid pontificating and bringing in reinforcements to protect Apokolips. I guess Starlin was hoping this issue would provide a good starting point for those truly unfamiliar with the New Gods. It succeeded to a point, but there are some many names thrown I got lost at points. I know the big name New Gods but the lesser ones really don't ring a bell. Sometimes I can't even tell if they are good or bad gods. Anyway, the issue ends with Starlin catching us up on the whereabouts of Mister Miracle and Big Barda. The final splash page isn't much of a shocker given the title of the miniseries.

Issue #2 starts off on New Gensis with Orion and a gaggle of New Gods contemplating what is happening here. Starlin then gives as CSI: JLA and a brooding Scott Free (Mister Miracle). I will have to look up what is up with the "Anti Life Equation" because as I said above I'm not up on all things Fourth World. Anyway, Scott Free has knowledge of the ALE and contemplates using it. Flash to New Gensis and Orion and Superman go through the motions in a battle of "honor" while on Apokolips Darkseid gets down to business. Starlin does a decent job of moving the plot forward but the battle between Superman and Orion goes on for too many pages. The side comments by Mister Miracle do make me believe that Starlin was making fun of the cliche element here.

Starlin's art is good but not his best work. Some of the poses are awkward and I can't tell if he is doing a homage to Kirby or not. If he is, then I get the art and he gets a pass.

While "The Sinestro Corps War" sets up a cosmic, galaxy spanning story that threatens the entire universe, "The Death of the New Gods" is truly just about that - the death of Kirby's Fourth World. Two issues in and I don't see the impact the New Gods living or dying has on the rest of the universe. Starlin has yet to make me care whether they live or die. The only two characters that I would care about living or dying are Darkseid and Scott Free. The others really have no real bearing or value in the DCU.

No comments: