Thursday, November 1, 2007

Green Arrow & Black Canary #1

The "Green Arrow and Black Canary Wedding Special" left a sour taste in my mouth as once again DC went to the death well by killing off Green Arrow. I wasn't happy with the situation and how it occurred either. I am a sucker though and went out and bought "Green Arrow & Black Canary" #1 to see where this was leading. I must say that I enjoyed this book. The first few page flashback was nicely done. Cliff Chiang's style in this flashback is fairly close to Darwyn Cooke's version of Green Arrow. The inking and coloring also matched Cooke's look as well. For the present day art, Chiang really captures the intensity of Black Canary. Chiang does an excellent job from page to page and really shines here.

Writer Judd Winick's story is interesting. He shows us how Black Canary grieves and that is painful for the bad guys out there. He reintroduces the Green Arrow family along with their connection to the rest of the DCU. I especially liked Green Latern's chat with Black Canary. Finally the mystery of what happened to Green Arrow is solved and we are on to the rescue next issue. Now, I really liked this issue, but how does this all fit into the marriage of the two main characters. Was the switch early? Why did they Amazons do it? Who? What? Why? How?....Questions, Questions, Questions. Here's hoping that Winick can answer these as I'm on board now.

No comments: