Friday, March 7, 2008

Green Lantern #28

I did not have high expectations coming into this issue. The Alpha Lantern story line had left me a bit cold as I thought it was a bit of a rehash of the Manhunters. However, Geoff Johns does some very interesting things in this issue. At the end of "The Sinestro Corps Wars" Johns' showed the teaser for his "Blackest Night" story that is coming in 2009. Here, at the end of a slightly boring Alpha Lantern story, we finally start to see the seeds that Sinestro laid begin to bear fruit. There is a lot going on in this issue. The trial is quick and painless and only serves up to move the defrocked Green Lantern in the direction needed to propel the "Blackest Night" story. I love when Hal visits Sinestro. The scenes come across as a nice riff on "Silence of the Lambs" with Sinestro dolling out his knowledge and understanding to Hal. Hal is beginning to realize the bigger picture as well. I didn't know if I would care for the splintering ring societies but I like the Red Lantern - especially the "great rage" tag. Mike McKone's art is somewhat stronger in this issue. He really shines on the various alien GL's, but his Hal is still a bit week. Hal just doesn't stand out here. I think his Sinestro is very strong though.

Next issue brings the retelling of Hal's origin as a Green Lantern. I believe instead of treading well worn ground, Johns will be weaving in elements of Abin Sur's "Blackest Night" prophecy as well as continuing the discussions between Hal and Sinestro. For what I thought would be a down issue, Johns and company produce the strongest since the war ended.

No comments: