Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Flash #238

The new ongoing creative team steps up to the plate and gets on base at least. Addressing one of the issues that hasn't been addressed since Wally and his family's return, new "The Flash" writer Tom Peyer takes on how Wally supports his family. I'm glad to see Jay Garrick added back to the mix as well. I like the mentoring that he provides. I believe if this book could get back to the Flash legacy it would be a top tier book. The new antagonist "Spin" is a bit of a reach, but I like what Peyer does with him. The character design is not very inspired as I prefer him in his civilian guise. This issue is actually much better than the last half-year's worth of issues. While I love Mark Waid, his return to "The Flash" left me cold. Peyer comes on and quickly establishes his voice for Wally and moves the book in a new direction.

I would like to see Peyer do with Wally what Peter J. Tomasi has done with Nightwing in his solo book. We need to see the legacy of the Flash with Jay Garrick and maybe the return of others, see how Wally fits into the DCU with drop ins from his Titans & JLA buddies, and expand upon Wally's rogues gallery. Peyer hits on two out of the three notes in his first issue. While he didn't knock it out of the park, he provided new readers a good jumping on point and old readers hope for the future.

No comments: