Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Death of the New Gods #7 of 8

I guess with "Death" in the title one would come to expect a bit of carnage in the series and the penultimate issue of "The Death of the New Gods" takes out a few more New God favorites. I'm pretty numb to death in the DCU these days what with it being utilized at every turn as a major plot point. I started this series with relatively little knowledge of the New Gods except for what I picked up from the various appearances of Darkseid and Miracle Man. So, with the big revelation this issue I was pretty much thinking "who?" when it happened. I wasn't shocked or surprised...just baffled. I had no idea who this was and, therefore, it wasn't an "oh, wow" moment for me. Maybe if I was a big Jack Kirby Fourth World fan it would have been. Who knows? Writer Jim Starlin continues to whittle down the remaining Fourth World Gods and we are left basically with Darkseid all glowing and fiery ready to do battle with the universal yin/yang thing.

I'll hold judgement until the final issue. However, Starlin has done what DC editorial asked him to do. He's wiped out the New Gods, but the story along the way has been a frustrating read.

No comments: