Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Green Arrow & Black Canary #6

After some heart wrenching issues, GA/BC gets back to the worldwide action and intrigue. This issue read like a "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" sequel with Green "Brad Pitt" Arrow and Black "Angelina Jolie" Canary going undercover and blowing stuff up. Cliff Chiang's art is truly the high point of this series. He is the fulcrum on which GA/BC turns. I read a lot on the boards about Judd Winick's writing and most of it is not good. I haven't read a lot of Winick so I don't know what all the Winick story tricks are. However, I think that this read while fun and entertaining was a bit off the mark on tone. With Green Arrow going after whoever incapacitated and kidnapped his son, you would think that the grim Longbow Hunter might resurface. However, here we get the Brett Ratner version of GA - that is not a compliment. I like popcorn media just as much as the next guy, but with the grim setup over the last couple of issues, I think the light hearted tone is missplaced.

No comments: