Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Green Latern #23

Geoff Johns has done an outstanding job on "The Sinestro Coprs War". I have to say this one really snuck up on me. After an extended absence from buying comics monthly, this last year I decided to start vising my local comic shop and put together a pull list. My son is a big Flash, JSA, & JLA fan and those made my list. I was always a big Teen Titans and Superman fan and those and some other related books made the list. Green Latern kind of fell through the cracks. I picked up "The Sinestro Corps War" one shot thinking it might be a good read and was blown away. I immediately put both "Green Latern" and "Green Latern Corps" on my pull list. I also lucked out and my LCS had a back issue sale at $1/issue. My son and I quickly caught up on both titles.

The story in "Green Latern" #23 is action packed and fast paced. Johns' characterization of the various Green Laterns is excellent and you really feel the impending doom. Ivan Reis' pencils with Oclair Albert's inks really show off the differing Green Latern Corp and Sinestro Corp members. The art really adds scope and depth to Johns' star spanning story. The last frame alone is worth coming back for more.

I have to step back a moment to critcize DC's editorial/marketing team. Issue number one is that "The Sinestro Corps War" was not properly advertised. If it had been pushed as much as the lack luster "Amazons Attack" was, I believe DC would have more people reading this excellent saga. Secondly, the reveal of what happens to Parallax/Kyle Rayner is blown by the "Countdown" series and the "Search for Ray Palmer" series. Timing is everything and Johns' excellent galactic adventure has been lessened by having major plot points revealed in another series.

If you haven't jumped on "The Sinestro Corp War" then head down to your LCS and find some back issues. It is a great read.

No comments: