Friday, October 5, 2007

The Flash #232

I was excited to see writer Mark Waid coming back to "The Flash". Two issues into his run and I'm not really sure where it is all headed. Wally's kids are taking center stage and while the book does have a "The Incredibles" feel to it, I'm not exactly on board yet with this direction. The Flash is my son's favorite character and I have always been a fan. I've been reading "The Flash" since the late 70s and love the simple power of speed. I was a big Barry Allen fan but wasn't one of those who was pissed about his demise during "Crisis on Infinite Earths". I thought DC did an excellent job of utilizing Barry's end to illustrate the hero's sacrifice.

Following Barry's demise, Mark Waid and Geoff John's did an excellent job of establishing the Flash's legacy role in the DCU. I thoroughly enjoyed both Waid and John's runs on the character. Waid brought a sense of family to the Flash's universe with John's fleshing out the Rogues and Wally and Linda's relationship. Wally was thought lost during the "Infinte Crisis" series but was brought back during the JLA/JSA crossover event "The Lightening Saga". Whether Wally and family were supposed to return or it was a purely editorial decision is still up for debate.

With the death of Bart Allen in "The Flash: FMA" series, Mark Waid came back as writer for "The Flash" with the numbering starting with the old "The Flash" series at #231. Waid has some great stuff going on in his current run, but I am not feeling the love for Wally's kids. I'm willing to give Waid time to work things out but this alien invasion story line is out in left field for a Flash comic.

The Flash has had some excellent artist through the years with Mark Wieringo and Howard Porter - just to name a couple - providing dynamic art for the scarlett speedster. Once again, I run into another issue with the current presentation of the Flash. Dave Acuna's art just doesn't grab me. I'm willing to give it more time to grow on me, but the art doesn't really convey the speed of the Flash. Acuna's art is not crisp like Porter's or action packed like Wieringo's. The over saturized reds and yellows just seem to lay on the page. There's no pop.

For a new reader to the Flash, I would recommend catching up on some of the TBPs that are out there before jumping onto Waid's new run. At this point, I can't recommend this series until I see Wally taking center stage and the art comes along more.

No comments: