Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Action Comics #856

Writers Geoff Johns and Richard Donner continue the "Escape from Bizarro World" in "Action Comics" #856. The "three months ago" beginning is a very nice homage to "Frankenstein" and I found colorist Dave Stewart's use of muted greys a good capture of Bizarro's view of our world. Bizarro's loneliness is captured in just a few pages with Bizarro building his own world. The Blue Sun affecting Bizarrow allowing him to populate his world is also a nice touch. I thought the characterizations of all of the Bizarro versions of DC mainstays - Luthor, Lois, Perry White - were all done very well. However, as my son pointed out, the Bizarro-Doomsday was a little off. Wouldn't he be nice and intelligent on this backwards world?

Eric Powell's art is the center piece here and while I don't think that his style would lend well to a traditional "Action Comics" tale, it fits quite nicely here. I laughed out loud at the arrival of the Justice League satellite and the final page reveal of the Justice League. I look forward to how Johns and Donner are going to tie this up in the next issue.

No comments: