Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Flash #233

New artist Freddie Williams II replaces the outgoing Dave Acuna and I'm not sure what to think about it. Williams can draw some good stuff. He did so in "Blue Beetle" and "Batman and the Outsiders" one shot. I know he can draw, but this issue looked rushed. Dave Acuna was in the solicitations for both this issue and the next and I wonder if Williams wasn't handed this issue very late and told to get it in on time. Doug Braithwaite's cover is very nice and captures the speed of The Flash. However, William's interiors almost look like something out of Johnny DC and not the DCU. The alien creatures come of as cartoonish. Some of the art looks tight - meaning a character in a panel - but all in all it wasn't very appealing. I hope Williams brings more to the table as he becomes the series regular artist.

The story also left me wanting. Billed by DC marketing as the JLA comes to take Wally's kids, it all really panned out to nothing. Lame aliens, lame characterization, all really builds up to a lot of nothing. I did, however, enjoy the Waid and John Rogers back up story "The Fast Life" much more than the primary story. This four part back up looks very interesting with great art by Doug Braithwaite. To me "The Flash" should be a premiere DC title and currently it is coming of as a second rate D-level hero title.

No comments: