Friday, April 11, 2008

Titans #1

To say that the Comic Adventurer's household was excited about this book would be an understatement. I came of age reading "The New Teen Titans" under Marv Wolfman and George Perez. It topped my reading list back in the day and continues to be a fun read today. I bought the hardcover volumes so that my son could appreciate the depth and complexity of the stories that Wolfman told. George Perez to this day is my standard bearer for comic art. Ian Churchill on art was a good choice, but given that he is only on for the first issue I will hold judgement on whether the art in "Titans" can match what Perez did back in the day. If Churchill had stayed on he would have been a fine artist for the series. His art here is both dynamic and detailed. Across the board, Churchill delivers in this issue. It frustrates me that DC didn't keep him on the book for at least the first arc. Writer Judd Winick has his detractors in the online community. I've stated before that I'm pretty new to his writing. The pacing of this issue is somewhat slow as Winick takes time to bring the new readers up to speed on who's who in the Titans universe. It is a fairly decent catch up and I dismissed any continuity issues (Starfire still hanging with Buddy) and just enjoyed the story. Winick also takes a couple of pages to up date the reader on the "Titans East" debacle.

My love for the Titans will keep me on for the first arch. If Winick can bring the humor and action that he has brought to "Green Arrow/Black Canary" I will probably stay on for the long haul.

No comments: