Monday, April 21, 2008

Countdown to Final Crisis #2 (with Salvation Run & Death of the New Gods)


As this horribly gone wrong 52-issue series hits its penultimate chapter, I have to wonder was it worth my time and money. The resounding answer is "NO!" This issue has the "death" of Darkseid. I usually don't give spoilers here but this goes right to the point of the whole "Countdown" fiasco. I have been reading both "Salvation Run" and "The Death of the New Gods". I read both "The Search for Ray Palmer" and "Countdown Arena" minis as well. Had DC decided to integrate all of those story lines into a 52 issue weekly series, I think they may have had a good series here. However, with what Dini & company presented in "Countdown" I can't say that it is worth even getting in TPB form. This issue has stilted dialogue, incomprehensible continuity, and very, very bad inking by Scott Kolins over his own pencils.

"Salvation Run" started off with a bang, focusing on the Rogues. Then came a change of writers and a sharp drop off in focus. Did DC decide do go a different direction midway through this mini? Who knows? This issue is basically more of the same. Luthor and Joker fight, yawn! Sean Chen's pencis are pretty though.

Finally, we have Jim Starlin's "The Death of the New Gods". It too has fallen off in focus moving to the later part of the series. Had this been tightly integrated into "Countdown" as one particular story line to follow, I think it might have been good. As a standalone, it just doesn't carry enough weight. DC has the New Gods popping up all over - see the current issue of "Justice Society of America" - and this series should have been the lynchpin for that.

I blame DC Editorial, specifically Dan Didio. I know bloggers and forum posters alike like to heap terrible words on Mr. Didio. I usually don't. I've enjoyed his many San Diego Comic Con panels. I've liked a lot of what he has done to bring in new readers, but the "Countdown"-era of his reign can be viewed as an utter failure. The goodness of "52" did not carry over. Where DC had it's surprise hits with "The Sinestro Corps Wars" the dismal failure of story telling that is the "Countdown" brand overshadows that success.

I will be testing "Trinity" and "Final Crisis". I have my hopes up for those series, but I will not hang on to the bloody end this time hoping for redemption. So, DC, you better hook me fast or my dollars and time are moving elsewhere.

No comments: