Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Youngblood #1

I bought the first "Youngblood" series when Rob Liefeld and Image published it in the early 90s. I enjoyed it a lot then but it seemed to disappear off the map. It is nice to see the guy who was the leading impetus for the formation of Image Comics back with the company along with his premiere title "Youngblood". This time Liefeld is handing the reigns over to writer Joe Casey and artist Derec Donovan. My first impression of this book is that the art and story telling are similar to that of Robert Kirkman's "Invincible". While the first issue is all setup as the government puts the team back together, I liked the reality TV aspect of the story and Shaft's attitude towards the reformation of the team. I'm not sure that the supporting team members are all that compelling but I like Shaft's characterization.

While this first issue did not blow me away, I'll stick around for a few more issues and see if Casey can work some magic on this old Image throwback team.

No comments: