Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Green Arrow/Black Canary Wedding Issues













So, I'm a sucker for DC books. I bought all three of these and believe they each had varying degrees of success. I liked the "JLA Wedding Special" the most. Writer Dwayne McDuffie establishes his post-Meltzer JLA right off the bat by bringing in Firestorm, John Stewart, and the Injustice League Unlimited. I love McKone's art and hope that he can get a monthly title to work on for DC. I enjoyed Meltzer's 12-issue run, but I am looking forward to McDuffie bringing an action packed view to the Justice League of America monthly. I would recommend this to anyone looking to jump onto this monthly title.

My girls liked the "Black Canary Wedding Planner". I thought it was a bit girly for my taste and was a bit provacative in a few of the panels. The art was fair and the read was breezy. It wasn't anything to phone home about, though.

Finally the "Green Arrow and Black Canary Wedding Special" starts out great. Amanda Conner's art is spot on. I really like her style. The center spread wedding shot is very good showing all most of the heroes of the DC universe. Of course, the wedding happens, although not as planned, with fighting and mayem. This was a great read right up until the last four pages. The final "shocking" panel just left a sour taste in my mouth.

DC put a lot of effort to create a special event that celebrated joy. The tie-ins, crossovers, and one shots were all fun and funny with the right amount of action and story. However, the last four pages of this "special" were almost unforgivable. I'm not a big Green Arrow fan. However, DC has already killed him off once. With "Green Arrow: Year One" looking quite good and a new Green Arrow/Black Canary monthly coming out. I just have to wonder what the editors are thinking. Death is having a good year in the DC Universe. Whether it serves the story or not.

No comments: