Thursday, July 24, 2008

Comic Con - Chatting with Freddie E. Williams II

I won't bore you with the long day I had before I even made it to Comic Con, but let me just say sitting in traffic on I-5 South for 4 hours isn't fun.

I got to the Con pretty late and headed to my favorite spot - Artist's Row. There sitting at the far end was "The Flash" artist Freddie E. Williams II. He was a very personable guy. I remember when he first came onto "The Flash" I was excited but then initially disappointed with how his art was being colored. Well, I think in the last few issues he really hit is stride....just in time for DC to move in a new direction. I discussed this with him and surprisingly there was not a note of bad feelings. He said DC asked him what he'd like to do next. He said he'd like to work on a young, caped hero that can have a dark side. To his surprise DC offered him to come back to "Robin". He had a bright smile on his face as he talked about it.

I'm looking forward to his last issue on "The Flash" as he said that DC allowed him to "cut loose" on the character. He said that he wanted to go out with a bang on the last issue. During our discussion he was sketching a pretty neat little Flash and it was interesting to see him draw. Freddie is a good guy from the great state of Missouri. He even talked with me about my son's art and told me to drop him a line when my son was old enough to start thinking about the biz.

If you make it to San Diego, go to artists row and check out the great personalities there. No lines and good conversation. It is neat to pull back the curtain a bit and see what makes these talents tick.

Thanks for the chat Freddie.

No comments: