Monday, August 27, 2007

Blue Beetle #18

Blue Beetle is a fun book to read. I was a fan of the Ted Kord Blue Beetle and was saddened to see him offed during the build up to "Infinity Crisis". I did not pick up the new Blue Beetle book when it first came out. I got my first taste of the character during Mark Waid and George Perez's "Brave and The Bold". I liked what they did with the character and decided to go back issue diving at my local comic store. I ended up getting the complete run 1-14 (missing a few issues in there). What I found was an engaging character the was fun and interesting. John Rogers, the writer, has done a great job of fleshing out the supporting cast and the lead character's, Jaime Reyes, introduction across the DC Universe. I have enjoyed Rafael Albuquerque's art, but was disappointed that he could not do the whole issue. Substitute art by Davidl Baldeon & Dan Davis seemed rushed and did not match the tone established for Blue Beetle.

In the issue, Blue Beetle and the Teen Titans team up to take on Lobo. Blue Beetle's armor continues to pull tricks out of the hat and show just how powerful it can be. The team fights Lobo to somewhat of a standstill and ends with Robin commenting on Beetle's lack of fighting skills. Robin invites Beetle to hang with the Titans and Jaime considers the invite. I'm looking forward to seeing Beetle in the Teen Titans as of issue #50. I believe he will be a breath of fresh air to a morose comic book and bring back some of the awe that is needed for that group. If you haven't picked up Blue Beetle, I recommend it!

No comments: